Photography, Crafts, Sewing and MORE!!
If you have a camera and want to learn, nature photographer Ruth Hoyt has the perfect class for you. She teaches a fun, interactive four-week evening class at the McAllen Creative Incubator starting this week on Wednesday, May 6th. To provide the participants with some hands-on time in the field, the class includes one Saturday morning field trip.
All cameras are welcome in Ruth’s class, including digital, film, SLR and point-and-shoot cameras. For those with complicated schedules or other special situations, Ruth does private instruction as well. Contact her for more details.
The basic nature photography class runs May 6th through 27th and takes place four consecutive Wednesdays.
Participants learn, hands-on, about their camera’s parts, features and handling. In addition, class time is spent viewing photographs and discussing composition, lighting and other technical aspects of photography. Participants can also expect to learn about some of the local flora and fauna.
The class takes place from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the McAllen Creative Incubator in McAllen (the former McAllen Public Library), 601 North 10th Street, for four Wednesday nights, as well as a Saturday morning field trip May 16th.
Cost for the four-week basic nature photography class is $250. Two people who register together receive a discount.
Portrait of Ruth Hoyt, taken by John Pickles in Barataria, LA
Asian Summer Camp at the McAllen Creative Incubator
With the help of the McAllen Arts Council-Grant Program, Lian Shingler is able to bring a unique Summer Camp program to the Creative Incubator. The Asian culture summer camp is an exciting one week program that will provide a wonderful insight and exploration of Asian culture. Students will participate in a Chinese language course, Chinese Martial Art kung fu ” shao Lin” wushu , which incorporates Jet Lee style, Magic class and Craft activities, like mask painting, chinese calligraphy and paper cut crafts. The program will have invited Magicians who will teach students magic tricks.
Students ages 7-14 can register now!
Program Dates are July 13-17, 2015
Schedule: 8:30am -5:00pm
Fees: Week Program…………………… $180 (8:30-5:00pm)
Week Program (½ day Morning) ….$100 (8:30-12:30pm)
Week Program (½ day Noon) ……..$120 (12:30-5:00pm)
T-shirt, lunch, water and light snacks will be provided
Registration form: ENGLISH APPLICATION
The program will conclude on Friday with a show for parents. Parents will enjoy the activities on display & students’ new found knowledge of Asian Culture. Registrations are taken at any time.
We thank you for your interest and support of this new program. For more information, please contact Lian Cheng Shingler at (956) 537-1370 or visit her at The Creative Incubator, Studio #11 located at 601 N Main St McAllen, TX 78501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
City Seal Art Contest Announcement
The City of McAllen is looking for a design to create a new City Seal. The City Seal will be used on official documents, and may also be used on city flags, websites, official city pins, business cards, letterhead, awards, and other formal places.
The McAllen City Seal should be indicative of the history and culture of McAllen. It should be a design appropriate for multiple uses, from very large to very small.
To enter, go to www.exploremcallen.com/cityseal and upload your design.
The winning design will be used by the City of McAllen. The creator of the winning design will receive $1,500 and recognition during an upcoming City Commission meeting.
Deadline to submit designs is April 30, 2015.
City Seal Design Contest Rules
1. By entering this contest the applicant declares that all entries submitted are original artwork designed by the applicant. By submitting art, the applicant accepts sole responsibility for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
2. There is no restriction on the number of designs a person may submit.
3. There is no fee to submit artwork designs.
4. All entries must be submitted online. Uploaded images must not exceed 1200X1200 px, and resolution must not be greater than 72 dpi. Acceptable formats are jpg, gif, pdf.
5. The selected design will become property of the City of McAllen, with all rights assigned thereto in perpetuity.
6. The McAllen City Commission will select the winning design. Decision of the City Commission is final.
7. Applicants further declare that they are at least 18 years of age or have the permission of their legal guardian to enter the contest.
8. The contest is open to all people who reside, work, or attend school or church in McAllen.
9. The artist submitting the winning entry will receive $1,500.
10. By entering the contest, the applicant agrees to abide by the rules of the contest as set forth above. All rules are final and binding. Applicants further agree that if their design is selected as the winner, winner will agree to the use of his/her name and/or image for promotional and/or advertising uses for no further remuneration than the stated contest prize.
11. The City of McAllen, McAllen Chamber of Commerce, and their employees, and volunteers, are not responsible for entries not received due to technical issues and accept no responsibility for technical support of entries.
Online Submission Form
City, State, Zip code_________________________________________________
I certify that I am 18 years of age or older. _____yes ____no
If younger than 18 years of age, name of legal guardian__________________
Legal guardian’s email address_________________________________________
Legal guardian’s phone number________________________________________